Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Bachelor

I've been given the reputation from friends as being a bit of story teller. I might not be the best writer of them, but I can surely spin a story when asked to tell one. I've also been accused of exaggerating a bit. In my defense, I rarely do and they often sound unbelievable when I retell them. Last night was not exception, it was pretty unbelievable.

Upon entering my apartment's elevator, I heard two young ladies chattering as they approached the building's entrance. I politely held the doors for them. They didn't press a floor which lead me to believe and had invited female stalkers to share the ride to the 41st floor. A comment was inevitable," so, are you ladies new to the building?". A benign remark, I thought. The one, more attractive girl, had been living on my floor for the past two weeks and informed she was leaving on Saturday and the other would be in New York City for another three months. They, of course, asked me about my situation.

"Well, I bought here a year and half ago"

"Do you plan to stay?"

"Sure...or for as long as a can pay the mortgage"

Although cheeky and undoubtedly sarcastic, I thought the last comment was clever enough to deserve a chuckle. I had no such luck and the lift began to feel a little tighter. I'd like to think they were taken off guard. They carried on talking as the elevator doors opened onto our floor. Intrigued, my neighbor continued the conversation to her door.

"I want apologize. I hope I don't keep you up by doing my laundry so late...". Each small floor has a washer/dyer closet it. Ours happens to be right in front of my apartment.

On a roll and feeling testy, I replied "Oh! So, you're the one using the machine at such obscene hours."

"Yes. Has it bothered you?"

"Actually...yes it has. I filed a complaint with the building manager yesterday."

Her uneasy smile immediately left her face.

"Are you serious?"

I smiled back, "Absolutely not!"

Her friend broke out into laughter and she followed suite. I wished them both a pleasant night and the rest of their stay in the Big Apple.

Not to disappoint, my interaction with these ladies didn't end there. I will explain why I've entitled this posting "The Bachelor" with a follow up as soon as I get an email from the producer of a certain TV Reality Show. I promise to live up to my rep...

2 comments:

whatevs said...

well, abc is looking for bachelor candidates for next season....

Christian Garbis said...

Now the question is, which one are you going to end up sleeping with? Imagination is a wonderful thing.